Sunday 10 January 2010

My heating wasn't working yesterday

and I can't say I was happy when the engineer came out today to tell me that it wasn't working because you have to turn it off at night because it is too cold for the condensing boiler. Ice has blocked the condensing pipe and this has tripped the auto cut-off on the boiler. As I usually get up early and have my heating on before daylight (the coldest part of the day) to take the edge of the cold in the house before I get up and not on all night (except this past week when it has been so cold here) I guess what he is saying is my boiler works brilliantly as long as it doesn't get cold!!!

The pipe has been cut-off and the remaining ice is being defrosted as we speak so I should get heating soon.

How cold has it been in the UK? It was -18C just a few miles away in Oxfordshire the other night (0F)

This amazing photo from the NASA Terra satellite shows the whole of the UK blanketed in snow. I don't recall weather this bad since my childhood and then we only got 3-4" of snow (I lived near the coast so we always got less snow) and not the 8-10" we have now. Snow in this country usually only lasts 3-4 days before thawing so this is really unusual. It's also snowing again today although only lightly and it's predicted to snow again tomorrow.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails