Saturday 25 April 2009

Saturday at the V & A

I'm so excited... I got to go somewhere today I've always wanted to! The textile gallery at the V & A. This is my second visit to the V & A and I have to go back because I still haven't seen a half of the galleries!

Arriving at Waterloo Station, I always feel slightly anxious here as it's such a big station and I am never sure I'm going to get on the right train. Someone else knows all about that ;)

Waterloo underground station (Northern Line)

The John Madejski Garden at the V & A, we stopped for a latte and a snack before visiting the galleries. I was quite impressed that the lemon trees actually had lemons on them!

Inside the textile galleries, not a great pic because i turned the flash off. Each one of these frames contains fragments of textiles, samplers, pieces of costume... I was in paradise... I will have to visit again with a sketchbook...


And this is the one sampler I wanted to see whilst I was there... Jane Bostocke 1598 - this is the oldest dated English needlework sampler
A close up, though not a great pic because again no flash on the camera...

There were so many things to see, I was enchanted by the Oriental textiles and the jewellery gallery. On the way out we stopped on the lawn outside the Natural History Museum for a snack...


These are the embassies of South Kensingston on the corner was a flag I didn't recognise, but when I got home I found it was Venezuela.


2 comments:

Alan said...

Glad to see I had a hand in your adventure - literally. I do indeed know all about getting on the wrong train. Next stop Winchester!!

Oriental material definitely worth a visit just by itself. And who'd have thought I'd think whitework and blackwork so interesting?

Charging up batteries for wherever we get to next! You can depend upon it :)

Velda said...

OMG what an amazing visit that will be over and over...now *I* want to come and visit so we can go together :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails